Sunday, January 24, 2010

Moving Forward

This has been a pretty busy week and I feel like I have gotten a lot accomplished!  I did a lot of work not only on my senior project, but I also worked on my plans for summer and for next year!
As part of my senior project, I am continuing to work with the Napier family and the Zebra Run.  This year we have decided to expand our outreach.  We will donate part of the proceeds to CSF, which is the organization I am starting a North and South Carolina Chapter for.  I am also helping Jason Thomas, the organizer of the run, find new sponsors.  If you or anyone you know would be interested in sponsoring the run, please email me at mackenziemathis@live.com.  This is tax deductible, great advertising, and helping a cause that will impact many lives!
This week I spoke with the woman in charge of setting up local chapters of CSF.  Neither of us could sit down and talk for long, so we decided to set up a phone conference between my mom, the director of CSF, and the two of us.  This will take place February 10th.  I will have more information about the chapter after the phone conference.
I spoke with Dr. Bingham this week about having an educational meeting at Spartanburg Regional.  We are thinking about having it sometime in March.  Dr. Bingham will speak first and give an overview of Chiari and EDS.  Then, Dr. Cannon, my family doctor who works with Dr. Bingham, will present a case to the audience.  The case he presents will be ME!  I will follow him by telling my personal experience with Chiari and EDS.  I think this will be great for the residents and other doctors to hear and will hopefully help them diagnose quickly patients that have these “rare” conditions.
As far as my research paper goes, I have enlisted the help of Dr. Cannon to learn how to write a case study.  He is looking through his medical textbooks for me, so I hope to get started on it this week!
Wednesday night, I received a call from my wonderful neurosurgeon!  It is always great to talk to him and catch up with him, but this was a special phone call.  After asking each other a few questions, he brought up the subject of an internship this summer.  We have discussed this several times in past conversations, but not to this extent.  He suggested that I split my time between his office and my geneticist’s office in Baltimore.  The house where I would stay is directly in the middle of Bethesda and Baltimore so it would work out perfectly!  We will discuss this in more detail when I go back to Maryland in a few weeks.  We will have to plan out possible dates and figure up the costs before we can make a decision.  Hopefully this will work out!
One last bit of news… I received my acceptance letter from Anderson University this week!  I am very excited about the prospects of going there next year!  The next step for me is to take the SAT again and apply to AU’s Honor’s Program. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MacKenzie- I know you have been busy but we aven't heard from you lately...what is up??
    Regarding your Reserch paper, I have you down for completing the rough draft by Feb 26th and then the final by March 15th. My only concern about those dates is that it doesn't leave much time in between to have the advisor read it and get it back to you for revisions. Are you aware of that?
    Another item I may not have mentioned to you yet- the dates for Senior Project Presentations are May 3,5 and 10. That is a change from what it originally was- we needed to schedule around the Spring concert and include a third day due to the large size of our clas. I think 10 presenters a night is going to max it out for sure!!
    I anticipate hearing from you soon.
    Hope to see you before long as well!

    ReplyDelete