Monday, January 18, 2010

Lots of Progress... And Even More To Do!

I apologize for the delay in posting. A lot has been going on since the last time I posted. I was in Maryland for more than a week over Christmas break which allowed me to work on my senior project with Dr. Henderson. I have also been able to talk to several people about it.

First of all, I have great news about the TV interview that was canceled. We thought they decided to drop the story all together, but while I was at Dr. Henderson’s office one day, Kyri called me and said they wanted to reschedule! Dr. Henderson and I were so excited and set the date right then! We will be flying to Maryland on Feb. 3rd and the interview will be Feb. 4th. We are so thankful that they still decided to do the story!

Dr. Henderson called my mom this week with more great news about our trip. He has a friend that works with the Washington Post and he has arranged for an interview with them at the same time as our trip! I will post that article and interview as soon as they are published!

Another thing to be accomplished on my trip in February is a meeting with a website builder. Dr. Henderson and I thought it would be a good idea to use the company who built another doctor’s website, because he wants to link their websites. I will still be responsible for filling in all of Dr. Henderson’s information and maintaining the website. Our goal is to have the website up and running as soon as possible!

When I was in Maryland over Christmas break, Dr. Henderson asked me to join him for lunch. I quickly found out that he had ulterior motives for this lunch. He ended up spending the majority of the time trying to convince me to go to medical school. I fought him the whole time on the idea, so he said for me to just pray about it and see what God wants me to do. He did not know that I had been praying about it for a long time and it took him and several others saying to me, “You would be a really great doctor, so you should go to med school!” So needless to say, I have decided to become a doctor! Since making this decision, I have seen everything fall into place for school and have talked to 3 different doctors about it! I feel very good about my decision!

In making this decision, I added another aspect to my senior project! The last day I was in Maryland, I went to work with Dr. Henderson for the day. I was very excited about it! He picked me up at 7:30 then we went to visit one of his patients in the hospital. Due to HIPPA laws, I could not see the patient. We then went to his office and saw patients from 9:30 to 5:30. It was a hectic day and we were rushing around the entire time and only had a 10 minute lunch break which consisted of PB&Js. Even though it was a crazy day, it was one of the best days of my life! It reassured me that I definitely want to be a doctor!

Right now I have several projects I am working on. I will list them because they have been explained in earlier posts.

-The meeting with the Residence Program at Spartanburg Regional

-Starting the NC and SC Chiari/EDS support group

-Learning how to write a case study for my research paper

-Beginning promoting the Zebra Run

-Talking with patients about my experience and giving tips about surgery and living with EDS (This is an ongoing and lifelong project I will do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment